It’s time again for “Divine Debris and Glorious Trash,” the art exhibit that celebrates the fact that there is beauty to be found in our recycled goods and discards, and so the Arts at St. Johns is putting out the call for artists who can do just that.
This is the second annual year for the exhibit; last year, 15 artists took up the challenge, turning discarded waste into a variety of collages, assemblages, sculptures, paintings, and more.
This year, prospective exhibitors have until June 1 to submit the application, along with digital images of their work. The works will be exhibited from June 14-17 at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden.
The exhibit is open to all styles and genres in any recycle medium and also must be related to Miami Beach or have been created by Miami-Beach-based artists.
In addition, the following criteria must also be met:
- All artwork must be original.
- The two-or-three dimensional art must be made from recycled materials, debris or trash.
- Media may include painting, photography, graphics, fiber art, sculpture, multi-media art and more.
- Artists must pay a $20 non-refundable jury fee for 1-3 entrees to be considered. The entry fee helps to support the work of Art at St. Johns and the Miami Beach Botanical Garden.
- The application, along with digital images of the work, must be emailed on or before June 1.
- A 15% commission will be charged on any works sold, with the remaining 85% going to the artist.
“Becoming Human” by Uta
Submitting artists also must submit a short biography and an artist’s statement. The work must be ready to hang, and clearly labeled with the artist’s name and contact information. A limited number of pedestals will be available. Most art will be hung on the walls. Artists can supply their own easels.
The artists will be celebrated at a public reception Tuesday, June 15, 7-9 p.m. at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden. Light refreshments will be served. The Miami Beach Botanical Garden is located at 2000 Convention Center Drive. Metered parking is available.
The exhibit is sponsored by the Arts at St. Johns, ArtShare LLC creative arts group, and the Miami Beach Botanical Garden.
The exhibit curators are Carol Hoffman-Guzman, founding director of the Arts at St.Johns, and Paula Turk, founding director of ArtShare LLC.
“Rudder Remains” by Krave
The exhibit is funded in part by grants from Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the City of Miami Beach Cultural Affairs Council.
This is one of several events Arts at St. Johns holds throughout the year. The organization is also in the midst of its plans to mount “Wish You Were Here,” a musical based on the founding and growth of Miami Beach. The musical will be performed in the fall.
To read an account of last year’s “Divine Debris and Glorious Trash” Art Exhibit, and see photos of the works, click here.
For more info and full exhibit submission details: Arts at St. Johns