Trailblazer Profiles in Business: Damon Harris
I had an opportunity to speak with Harris about what helped him to weather the financial storms over the past few years and he said, “Lot’s of prayer” and “I stick to my plan”. “You can’t give up due to financial storms that you may face, that is when you are tested. I stay focused and don’t give up. It’s not what you do when times are good, it is what you do when they are rough; I don’t leave my original blueprint.”
Harris recently embarked on a new project with Watering Seeds Organization (WSO) that will prove to be one of his largest at over 1 million square feet in Houston, TX. According to the WSO website, it is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation initially founded to create recreational and athletic opportunities for physically challenged individuals by supplying the necessary adaptive sports equipment. The Watering Seeds Organization has been recognized nationally for involvement with the disabled by donating the time for the design of the new facility, including a letter from Arnold Schwarzenegger, the governor of California. WSO’s plan is to have this new center operational in 2013.
Over the next 6-12 months, Harris said that it will be important to watch trends in business and how they are going to change. Being able to morph into the trend is what will help us to be successful.
Harris also says that one of the things that has been a key to his success has been keeping a positive outlook. “A lot of times we talk ourselves out of opportunities,” says Harris, but he encourages us to keep your eyes open to change and opportunity.
Harris said that keeping a positive outlook has also been essential to him overcoming personal difficulties including the losing both parents along with 3 other close relatives and friends to death within the past few years. Brady Mazzola, founder of WSO, commented on Harris’ resilience by saying, “10% of life is what happens to you, the other 90% is how you react. He has always kept a positive attitude, spirit of optimism, and loyalty, which makes us brothers.”
When asked what advice he would give to a person who is just starting in business or in a sales position, Harris said to “write down anything you want to have in your business. When opportunities come along, don’t just grab anything. Follow your blueprint” He also said that it is important to read and repeat your plan out loud on a daily basis.
About Damon Harris and Fellows Ink: Damon Harris, the owner of the successful Dallas, TX based design and build firm Fellows Ink of Seth Preston Eric Marcus, is originally from Orange, TX. His father encouraged him to get into the business of architecture, so he started his training at Lamar University and completed his training in the Dallas Metroplex. After designing for an architecture firms, Harris decided to leave the firm and founded his own firm in 2004.
For more information on Fellows Ink, call Harris at (214) 769-7825. For more information on the Watering Seeds Organization, visit their website.