Lindsay Lohan mugshot
SCRAM bracelets are electronic devices worn around the ankle to monitor alcohol use by criminal defendants, probationers, or parolees for offender management programs.
On Thursday, 5-20-2010, the bracelet became an item because it was mentioned in the travails of Lindsay Lohan who missed a scheduled court appearance. The judge in the case stacked a $100,000 bond, and warrant for her arrest unless some conditions were met.
Lindsay went globe-hopping over to Cannes, France and claims her passport was stolen and unable to return to the U.S. according to Splash News.
TMX.com claimed Li-Lo never reported the passport missing.
According to Bossip.com, “Judge Revel set bail at $100,000 and said Lindsay can post bail and remain free until the next court hearing, IF she does the following:
- Drink no alcohol
- Wear a SCRAM bracelet
- Submit to random drug testing at least once a week
Lohan posted the $100,000 bond, and the warrant was recalled on Thursday.
With Lohan’s track record, the tracking computers will be spitting fire and smoke when the SCRAM device lights up like a Christmas tree from drug use.
What is SCRAM? Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor. Simply, it is an electronic device that monitor’s alcohol use by a transdermal detection process. Just as alcohol can be detected in one’s breath with a breathalyzer, your skin sweat can be monitored for alcohol as well. Not only does the device detect alcohol, but also whether you are home, or not.
How SCRAM works
The device is often used for those offenders that can be monitored in their homes rather than sending them to jail, or prison if they do not pose a further risk to society.
According to SCRAM’s website the device has the following attributes:
- Can be accessed around-the-clock − from any location − using a standard web browser
- Provides exception-based reporting to reduce workload
- Flags and graphically depicts any alcohol ingestion, tampers, or removal attempts
- Lets you easily customize testing, synchronization, and reporting schedules for each offender
- Provides customized reports and graphs to best suit your information needs
- Allows you to cost-effectively monitor and manage numerous offenders simultaneously
Whether this device will work for Lindsay Lohan, is another question altogether.
However, SCRAM has proven reliable, and cost-effective. It certainly frees up jail and prison bed-space for violent criminals, including drunk drivers that have killed people in vehicle accidents.
There are other electronic devices to stop people from drinking and driving as well. One of them is hooked up to a breathalyzer, and the vehicle will not start if you blow a polluted reading.
However, before your life gets this far, you are better off getting the help you need to avoid the pain, anguish, misery, and possibly very lengthy prison time if you manage to kill someone while driving drunk.
In the flow…
Follow Crash Test Addict on: Twitter| Facebook| Website
If you or a loved one needs help with any type of drug abuse/addiction problem, contact these sites depending on where you live. SEMCA (Wayne County residents), CARE (Macomb County residents), PACE (Oakland County residents), Drug Free Detroit (City of Detroit residents). For those residing outside the State of Michigan, contact SAMHSA for assistance. For assistance with medical marijuana contact The Michigan Medical Marijuana Association, or Michigan Medical Marijuana Certification Center.
(Photo Mugshot by Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Wikimedia Commons)
- Medical marijuana center helping patients in Michigan
- Alcohol Awareness Month coming in April
- 12 year old kids using inhalants to get high
- Social drugs rising in teen use rates
- Letter for a loved one about drug abuse
- Prescription drugs on killing spree
- War vets suffering addictions at high rate
- Online pharmacies ordering death
This work by Michael Velardo, aka, Crash Test Addict is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License