If Manny Pacquiao has consented to Floyd Mayweather getting a bigger financial guarantee, then I don’t understand why anyone else could or would object.
Pacquiao is chomping at the bit to get this fight. That’s what Pacman is all about, competition and challenges.
What bigger challenge–what higher mountain–could there for Manny to climb than to try to become the first opponent in 42 pro bouts to hand the fleet of hand, fleet of foot Mayweather his first defeat?
It’s like the the Matterhorn, Mt. Olympus and Mt. St. Helen all rolled into one, a summit that no other fighter has scaled successfully.
(See Brad Cooney on why Mayweather’s demands make zero sense.)
Pacquiao will take less money for these reasons, I say:
1. Not Content: Being Fighter of the Year, Fighter of the Decade, Manny already took those special accolades and now he wants to really reach for real ring immortaility, his ticket to that destination is fighting Mayweather.
Under guard: Floyd Mayweather with his security guards enters MGM Grand Hotel in Las vegas (Life magazine)
2. Manny’s The Visitor: Sure, Americans for the most part have taken Pacman and his electric style to heart but the fact remains that he is a visitor, a welcome one but a visitor nonetheless, to our shores. So giving a guy named Money May a slight financial edge is no dealbreaker here.
3. No Exit: Demanding total money parity, a true 50-50 deal, gives the nervous Mayweather the escape hatch he may be looking for, taking a lesser amount gives Mayweather his ego massage amd nearly makes it impossible for him duck out.
4. Turning Tables: If the Nov. 13 fight is exciting, competitive and/or controversial, there will surely be a rematch. Neither Floyd nor Manny has any shining rival sitting on the sidelines. They have to dance together to break the bank and, if the seeds are planted in the first bout, we shall surely see Floyd-Manny Redux and perhaps even a third chapter of this incendiar rivalry.
5. Bigger Goals: Congressmanny is not consumed, not defined as Mayweather is by boxing and rap music. Pacman has a higher purpose and polishing his huge global footprint is what the Mayweather Lollapalooza will do, win, lose or draw. Manny knows he wins by winning and may also win by losing.
I’ve said it before and it remains true and in effect, only by running to Mayweather can Pacman be certain Mayweather won’t run…at least until the opening bell.
Then the track meet begins, this we know, but over 36 minutes, the lead sprinter can get conked by the guy with the baton. Mr. Mayweather, can you chill out when “Manila Ice” is unloaded at extreme speeds, infinite power and from unexpected angles?
Giving Floyd the money edge is the smart play by the Pacquiao side.
When Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier had an even-steven, 50-50 in 1971, it was a different situation.
They divided $5 million. Now Mayweather may be looking at 10 times that figure with Pacquiao only slightly less.
Take the smaller slice of the pie, win the fight and then Pacquiao will be the real shotcaller for the rematch.
Don’t sweat the small stuff, Pacquiao isn’t.