For many homeschoolers, teaching math can be a daunting prospect. Parents who don’t feel comfortable with their own mathematics skills are always on the lookout for resources and tools that will provide the content instruction that they aren’t able to accomplish themselves. Typically, this may be handled in various ways:
- The teaching may be relegated to the parent who is strongest in math
- Media-based curriculum may be used which shows an official teacher instructing the material (via CD, DVD, online coursework or real-time internet classes through a “skype” type of application
- A tutor is hired
- Student is enrolled in a class–either through a co-op or homeschool resource center, the local school, or community college
- The parent may take a math class herself to stay ahead of the pupils
- The child is put back in public school “so his education is not ruined” by a parent who isn’t confident
Homeschooling materials provide a wide variety of options for teaching math, so there are fresh resources being created all the time to meet the need. Even with curriculum that is self-teaching, it is still helpful for parents to understand some of the processes so they can at least oversee the student’s work.
Larry Shiller created a math curriculum and began ShillerMath with a mission to:
- Help students learn and enjoy math
- Provide a Montessori-based, multi-sensorial curriculum
- Address the six learning styles so all learners can be successful
- Help bring the US up to #1 in math skills in the schools
- Provide positive role models for children in math.
ShillerMath will be presenting a free webinar which will cover:
- How young children really think
- Solid, practical, everyday tips on how children learn math
- Unconventional ShillerMath secrets that you can put to practice right away
- Why standards actually hurt our children’s education the way they are implemented today
- and what parents can do about it.
- Webinar is interactive and you will be able to ask your questions
Date: Saturday June 19, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Registration: Register online and receive a link to the actual session
Space is limited.
Every webinar attendee receives a $100-off coupon on a ShillerMath Kit.
For more information: contact Larry Shiller http://www.shillermath.com
Email: [email protected] 1-888-556-MATH (1-203-210-5208 in the USA)
In Phoenix, AZ, you can discover more about Learning Styles at a workshop by Holly Craw Home Education Services on June 16.
If you are interested in a monthly math challenge and fun tips to make learning easier, sign up for the Shiller Tidbits. You can also download free diagnostic kits to assess your child’s math level.
- Homeschool 101 Learning Styles: Academic Advantages Through Love and Speaking the Same Language
- Special offer for my readers: Register for this workshop with a friend, and get nearly 40% off both registrations!
- Homeschool 101 Curriculum: What learning materials and methods will be the best for my family?
- Homeschool 101 Workshops: Summer Continuing Ed for parents–all the info you want to know
- Homeschool 101 Classes: How do your students get those subjects you aren’t able to teach?
- Homeschool 101 Learning Styles: Show me and I will know it–the Visual learner
- Homeschool 101 Learning Styles: Understanding yourself as teacher is key in selecting materials
If you want more information on any homeschool questions, please contact me by email or leave a comment below. If you liked this article, you can share it for free with the links below. Subscribe at the top of this page so you won’t miss out on any future postings, and you will be “The One in the Know!”