Top 10 Grilling Tips for the True Grilling Master:
1. Always start with the best product available.
2. Marbling helps assure beef is tender, juicy and flavorful once it’s grilled. Marbling is those little white flecks of flavor within the meat, so look for lots of little bits scattered throughout. As the beef cooks, those morsels melt and “baste” the meat from the inside out.
3. Use a light hand when seasoning beef. Whether it’s salt, pepper, or a custom rub, keep your hand about a foot above the meat to help distribute the spices more evenly.
4. Don’t flip steaks too often. Place meat on the grill, let it sear and cook before flipping it. Turning meat too often makes it lose its natural juices, leaving it flavorless and dry.
5. Always use tongs or a spatula – not a fork – to turn meat. Piercing the meat allows its flavorful juices to escape.
6. Most experts say cooking a steak to medium rare ensures the best flavor and tenderness. Cook to 140° for rare; 145° for medium rare; 160° for medium, and 170° for well done. Ground beef and burgers should always be cooked to 160°. See the slideshow below for images of degrees of doneness.
7. Use an instant-read thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the meat. Place it in the thickest part of the item – usually in the middle – and away from any bone or fat.
8. Any cook can make fancy diamond grill marks – it just takes a little practice. First, place your steak on the grill. After two minutes, turn it 45 degrees clockwise. Cook another two minutes, flip and repeat.
9. When you’re finished cooking, remove meat from the grill and let it rest for several minutes. Tent the clean plate loosely with foil to keep the meat warm. Resting cooked meat allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat so they don’t escape once it is cut.
10. Always keep safety in mind. When lighting a gas grill, keep the top open until it’s lit. Use and store propane cylinders outdoors in an upright position. After grilling, turn the burners off, and close the cylinder valve.
Tips provided by Certified Angus Beef