Is it just a new craze or is there something to this new trend of Orlando 20 somethings taking a vow of celibacy? According to a recent New York Post article, everyone from Katie Jean Arnold to Courtney Love to even Lady Gaga are taking vows of celibacy! Why now when our culture screams SEX at every turn and in almost every marketing campaign? Why now when it seems like young people are becoming more sexually active at an earlier age? Let’s look past the hype to what a “sex fast” really is and see if there are any real benefits to it.
What exactly is a sex fast or taking a vow of celibacy?
- As incredible as it sounds, it is actually taking a break from sex for a period of time to focus your energy, efforts and thoughts on another area of your life such as a work project, a career change or just to focus your mind.
- Instead of centering your thinking on “hooking up” or taking your relationship to the “next level,” it is a time to refocus on yourself and your goals without the added pressure or distraction.
- It can also be a time to enjoy a relationship simply for the connection outside of the physical or sexual so you can get to know the person and bond emotionally, mentally, etc.
Are there really benefits from taking a sex fast?
Most people might wonder if there really are any benefits! Here are just a few things that you can channel your energy on other than having sex:
- Developing healthy relationships with the same sex and opposite sex that don’t revolve around sleeping together as the ultimate accomplishment.
- Having extra energy to finally knock out that to-do list you have been putting off and enjoying the sense of accomplishment.
- Using that extra time to take care of you with physical exercise.
- Take that cooking class you’ve always wanted to take, further your education or enjoy that hobby that always seems to get ignored.
- Really go the extra mile and get involved in a worthy cause or charity and give back to others or your community.
These are just a few of the many things that can bring fulfillment and depth to who you are without feeling pressured in your relationship or feeling guilty the next day!
Are guys more interested if you are celibate?
- Guys tend to want what they cannot have so if you lay down the law and say “No Sex”, they may act more interested to see if you really mean it or if they can get you to change your mind.
- The true test is if you stick to your celibacy plan and then if they stick around for more than a couple dates. It will show if they are more into you than the sex.
- Finally, isn’t being respected for who you are as a person what a woman really wants? To know that she is pursued and cared about for who she is and not for what she can provide sexually. By vowing to be celibate, even for a season, it won’t take long to see what his motives are and how he truly views you.
Whether you decide to take your vow of celibacy until you are married or do it for a set period, it can certainly be something that brings clarity, freedom and re-focused energy. Rather than worrying about the latest trends that celebrities are trying to set or if your friends will approve, take a look at how taking a sex fast is not as crazy as you first thought it might be! Of course, it won’t be easy and you might want to have a trusted friend to confide in or join you, but in the long run, you could really find out some deeper things about who you are and the guys that are pursuing you.
Join Janie on Facebook Follow Janie on Twitter