Green Celebrity News!
Oil Spill crisis finally gets its own cleanup telethon thanks to CNN and Larry King —
The announcement that a live telethon to raise money for environmental cleanup and to help displaced workers on the Gulf Coast was made June 18.
Everyone has been wondering why, when such a huge celebrity fundraiser was held to help the earthquake victims in Haiti, the key star celebs in Hollywood have not rushed forward to help save the Gulf of Mexico.
They are also wondering why the response from the U.S. government and BP are slower than FEMA getting in to help the city of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit the Louisiana coast.
While actor George Clooney rallied the green celebrity troops (so to speak) for the humanitarian cause, he’s been quiet about the Gulf oil spill and the responsible party BP.
Clooney is close personal friends with United States President Barack Obama. Is he being quiet because there is something he knows about the oil spill — perhaps related to U.S. government culpability — and does not feel the environment is a cause he wants to fight for publicly?
Or could it be that Clooney has quietly passed the telethon torch to Larry King and is remaining silent in public so other celebs will turn their attention to working the talk interview mogul out of the limelight drawn by Clooney?
Whatever the case, news from the AP wire June 18 shared the following details about the upcoming event for charity, which will be shown on CNN — not MTV:
CNN and Larry King are presenting a telethon Monday to benefit victims of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
Celebrities on the special two-hour edition of “Larry King Live” will include Justin Bieber (BEE’-bur), Ted Danson, Cameron Diaz, Randy Jackson and Robert Redford, as well as a performance by Sting.
CNN said Friday that guests will visit with King on set and by satellite. They will also participate in the program’s telephone banks taking viewer calls.
Ryan Seacrest will host an online suite for viewers using social media like Facebook.
Let’s just hope none of the telethon money will be funneled back to BP or absolve them of any responsibility for cleanup and restitution financially.
“Disaster in the Gulf: How You Can Help” will seek to raise money for the United Way, National Wildlife Federation and The Nature Conservancy. The telethon will air from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST).
CNN is owned and operated by Time Warner.
Shades of Green
- Angelina Jolie
- Brad Pitt
- George Clooney
- Green Car
- Green Celebrity News
- Hollywood Gossip
- Johnny Depp
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Pop Culture
- Sandra Bullock
- Going Green: Mario Batali embraces Meatless Monday tradition — #meatlessmonday
- Green Celebrity News: Drew Barrymore saving whales, Sarah Palin earning fail wails?
- Green Celebrity: Christie’s Bid to Save the Earth auction nets millions from eco friendly bids
- Green Celebrity Real Estate: Former NYC apartment of U.S. President Barack Obama for rent
- Green Celebrity News: Sandra Bullock comes out of seclusion thanks to Troops
- Green Celebrity Home: Al Gore needs a green home makeover on his new bachelor pad — #greenbuilding
- Grass Roots Marketing Power: Mother finds kidnapped children through Facebook
- Bright Green Ideas: White House backs plan to construct eco friendly villages in Haiti
- Celebrity Pets: Megan Fox, Paris Hilton, and Jessica Simpson — Three Little Pigs?
- Shades of Green: Al Gore and wife Tipper file for divorce after 40 years of marriage
- How to find and show support for the best green news bloggers using Twitter
- Dark Green News: Top Kill fails to stop BP Gulf oil spill — link to Live Stream Video of #oilspill
- Green Celebrity News: Leonardo DiCaprio launches Tiger Protection Charity — Grrrr 8 #nonprofit idea
- Green Celebrity News: American Idol judge Ellen Degeneres to launch record label
- Green Celebrity News: Wyclef Jean begging Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to adopt a child from Haiti
- Green Celebrity Profile: Betty White — Animal Rights Activist, Golden Girl, funny national treasure
- Bret Michaels news: Rumor true, Celebrity Apprentice hospitalized again after second stroke
- Green Celebrity News: What’s eating First Lady Michelle Obama? What President Barack Obama is eating
- Celebrity Pets: 5 pet friendly celebrities bizarre pet deaths stories
- Dark Green News: Graffiti artist Banksy tags wall in Detroit — what did he say? (VIDEO + Photo)