The cyclical nature of online advertising dictates that popular publicity trends will always come back around. Case in point–the banner ad. Once considered a barrier to usability, banner ads are making a comeback for several important reasons. Here’s why banner ads must be a part of any long-term online marketing strategy, how to create a banner ad that pulls and where to situate your banner ads for maximum performance.
Why Banner Ads are Back with a Vengeance
When the banner ad first arrived on the scene, it was a breath of fresh air to graphic enthusiasts. It replaced the lackluster text link ad, giving advertisers another sensory touch point in efforts to woo prospects. When the Internet public revolted against pop-up and spam marketing, the banner ad enjoyed a renaissance. Site owners realized that a carefully-worded, strategically-placed banner ad wasn’t that much of a distraction. Here are some other benefits to using banner ads:
- Cost-effective. You’ll pay for impressions per thousand (expressed as M); that’s a set price for every one thousand times your banner ad is shown on a page–and often much cheaper than pay-per-click
- Multisensory. Banner ads touch on more than one sensory point; prospects can read your message and see a visual representation which increases interest, action and recognition
- Uncomplicated. Creating banner ads require only basic design skills; you can outsource the work, use a free banner creators on the Web or download premade banners from affiliate pages
How to Create an Effective Banner Ad
Employ the following techniques to maximize the click through rate (CTR) of your banner ads.
- Make the File Small. Small ad files mean faster display; you don’t want prospects to keep moving down the page instead of waiting for your banner ad file to load
- Make the Action Clear. Use the banner ad to tell your prospects precisely what you want them to do; ads with no clear call to action usually get none
- Make It Move. Animated ads almost always pull better than static ones; any teacher will tell you that the moving target gets the attention
- Make the Copy Engaging. This is a case for hiring a professional copywriter; compelling ad copy can be your best weapon
- Make It Interactive. Whenever possible, create banner ads the solicit opinion, offer a game or anything else that encourages the user to engage
Where to Properly Place Your Banner Ads
According to Jakob Nielsen’s Alertbox, users read information in an F-shaped pattern on the computer screen. That means two horizontal strips followed by a vertical one. If you follow this logic, proper banner ad placement is above the fold and along the F pattern.
Does this mean that a banner ad placed anywhere else on the page will be unsuccessful? Absolutely not. A banner ad with the right design, enticing text and an irresistible offer will always pull well. But by placing your banner in the expected site path of your visitors, you’ll give it the best possible chance to do its job.
For more information on how to create and position banner ads to grow your business profits exponentially, visit Home-Biz-Power–ethical, powerful home-based business strategies for the kitchen table entrepreneur.