Sharing your big news has been on wedding to-do lists for decades. Announcing the exciting day in the local papers is something that your parents and grandparents did and now it’s easier than ever. The Chicago Daily Herald offers a special section called “Celebrate” where your announcement will appear in print and online. It isn’t quite how your parents did it back-in-the-day. At dailyherald.com you can select the size of your announcement, the number of photos that will appear, write your own text, and arrange payment all online.
1. Click “Create my Ad.” Select the publications you want your ad to appear in. Decide what region suits you best. You have the option of being in all zones the Chicago Daily Herald delivers to or just the region in which you live. To keep it local, click on the “North Zone” which is Cook, Lake, and Kane counties.
2. Choose your classification and package. Select engagement or wedding. Click on “engagement” if you are announcing your engagement, and click “wedding” if you are announcing your wedding. Once you choose, the advertisement size will appear.
1/4 page ad: $185 for the North Zone.
1/8 page ad: $95 for the North Zone.
“Vert” is a ½ page vertical ad: $360 for the North Zone.
3. Select your ad template. The Daily Herald offers two ad templates to use. There is a two picture layout or a one picture layout (same cost).The two-picture ad gives you an opportunity to share a posed picture and a candid shot. Click “continue.”
4. Customize your announcement. This is where you can write your own text and upload pictures. Stick to facts and use a professional picture. “Click Continue.” Your ad will be generated and will lead you to a page to “Proof your Ad.” Check your ad. Make sure it appears the way you intended and check for spelling errors. Click “continue.”
5. Select the Sunday paper in which you want your ad to appear. A list of dates will show in a box on the right of your screen. Keep in mind, selecting more than one Sunday will double your cost. The dates available are the Second Sundays of each month. Ad placement requests will be honored based on availability. Click “continue.” Your ad will also appear at Legacy.com, so enter the required information. Click “continue.”
6. Register your account and arrange payment.
Daily Herald Online also gives “Celebrate” users the option to create a profile page, guest book entries, photo galleries and registries. According to the site, the deadline is 5 p.m. Friday, two Fridays before the publication date. The section’s contact is Kay Long at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-427-4477. Take advantage of this easy-to-use online tool to share your excitement with the Chicago area.