Oh what a fine day this was!! Over 100 attendees came to the Lifebook Lounge located on 1200 West Lake Street in Chicago to attend a beauty workshop featuring the celebrity make-up artist and Chicago native Sam Fine . He is celebrating his 20th year in Beauty. See and learn the magnificent artistry of Sam Fine!!He is truly a genius of makeup artistry at its best!!!
Some noted attendees of the media was present names like: Zondra Hughes- N’Digo, Deborah O. Brown- NBC, Allison Payne- WGN, Aramide Esubo- Sassy Peach, Lisa Banks- Red Karma, Reggie Wells-Oprah’s Makeup Artist, and Hosea Sanders of WLS, to name a few.
Professionals and real women came out to this event, having a hunger to learn more about the natural beauty that makeup can provide. The class format was very intimate!! The attendees were allowed to ask various questions and Sam Fine provided a detailed responses. After the question and answer session, he got to the meat of the matter…the demonstration. Oh what a demonstration it was!! Same Fine is very detailed, explains each step in his makeup application process. His knowledge was insurmountable!! As an attendee, you just wanted to be a sponge taking in every tip, every recommended product, technique…the list can go on and on!
The entire concept of the demonstration was to show professionals and the novice how to put on a perfect face. Using the various shades of color, shadow and contour we watched a canvas chiseled right before our eyes. As referenced in his DVD-The Basis of Beauty, Sam Fine takes you step by step into this artistic masterpiece!!
He uses an array of products that helps bring one’s natural beauty to life! Here were some of the highlights of the demonstration.
1. Preparation is a key component; the beauty professional should be organized.
2. Have a purpose, no matter what time or place, makeup is a personality and Fine states “You must put it on and make it stay on”.
3. Knowing the product, he encourages us to try all products. Learn about the products first and understand how it is supposed to work.
4. At the start of his demonstration, Fine states, “No rules or regulations”. There are not strict or confined rules for applying makeup.
5. Prefers to use a sponge over a brush with foundation applications.
6. Encourages you not to stop using a product, because it does not work for you; just simply learn how to place it.
7. Uses the “tissue blotting” technique. This technique allows you to remove all excess oiliness from the product applied. He also separates the tissue making it 1-ply.
8. States that the purpose of this class is to “show you how far you can go” with the actual makeup application.
9. Use black eyelash glue, it dries faster. He also fans the eyes to allow them to dry and set securely.
10. Foundation liner is used in the inner rim of the eye; the beige color opens up the eye.
Sam Fine-Demonstration with Model-Gina
During the demonstration Fine discusses recommended products selections to use during the makeup application. Some of the products mentioned were not limited to:
Laura Mercier– Primer Fashion Fair
Derma Blend– Concealer Flori Roberts
Iman Cosmetics-Press Powder Bobbi Brown
Kiehls-Moisturizer Ives Saint Laurent
Black Opal-Powder Bronzer Queens Collection
Mac Cosmetics-Studio Fix Nars- Blush
The information provided at this class was phenomenal for the professional and the recreational makeup artists. In addition, to getting this valuable industry knowledge, all attendees received a gift bag with Sam Fine’s first instructional DVD [The Basics of Beauty].
Also included product selections from Mac- (Blush & Eyebrow Pencil), Smashbox- (Primer, Cheek Color & Lip Gloss), and a sample of Viktor & Rolf-Flowerbomb.
Attendees had the option to receive an autographed DVD as well. A special thank you to Brushes by Viola and the owner of Lifebook Lounge for hosting this event.
What attendees thought about the event
Attendees thought that the workshop was very informative. Here were some of the comments:
• “It was great to see two industry professionals under one roof, this is considered as a historic moment”. Referring to Sam Fine and Reggie Wells providing acknowledgment & appreciation for the talent.
• “This class gave me the opportunity to know that it is up to me to explore weak points and build upon them.”
• “Loved the detailed demonstration, the model was stunning and flawless!” I can’t wait to watch the DVD for reinforcement of the demonstration.
This concludes the coverage of A Fine Day of Beauty featuring Sam Fine. It was one fine day!! Happy Reading!